In 1410, Fiore dei Liberi, an aging condottiero and master-at-arms to some of Italy’s most renowned warriors, presented a book to the bellicose Niccolò III d’Este, Marchese of Ferrara (1383-1441) containing the sum of four decades of knowledge won in the training hall, siege, battle and five duels with rival masters. He named this work Il Fior di Battaglia, the Flower of Battle, composed so that the “art might not be forgotten”.
Six hundred years later, a small gathering of martial artists from around the world will prove him right!
The Chicago Swordplay Guild is pleased to host this invitational, three day event in honor of Maestro Fiore and his Art. The schedule of events includes:
Classes taught by an international slate of instructors:
- Bob Charrette, LaBelle Compagnie (USA)
- Sean Hayes, Northwest Academy of Arms (USA)
- Mark Lancaster, The Exiles – Company of Medieval Martial Artists (UK)
- Rob Lovett, The Exiles – Company of Medieval Martial Artists (UK)
- Gregory Mele, Chicago Swordplay Guild (USA)
- Roger Siggs, Rocky Mountain Swordplay Guild (USA)
- Guy Windsor, School of European Swordsmanship (Finland)
The schedule and class descriptions are included in this PDF:
In addition to formal classes there will be a round table discussion and Q&A on Fiore and his work, and two feats of arms:
- A Friday “Vespers Tournament” – an unarmoured tournament of sword, dagger and lance, open to all attendees.
- A Saturday, Armoured Pas d’Armes – an invitational tournament, celebrating the knightly art, to be fought with sword, lance, and axe.
(Full details of the tournaments will be forwarded to attendees.)
Located at the picturesque DeKoven Center, home to the Western Martial Arts Workshop, the conference is a retreat with attendance limited to the 60 students that DeKoven can host. Your registration fee includes entry, lodging and all nine, hot meals.
This is a unique event and a unique opportunity to train in a private environment with some of the most renowned, modern teachers of the art of Armizare. Act now, because spaces will go fast. We look forward to crossing swords with you!
September 10 – 12, 2010
The DeKoven Center
600 21st Street
Racine, WI 53403
(Details for getting to Racine can be found on the WMAW website)
On campus; all rooms have two single beds. You will be able to request the roommate of your choice when you register, and we will make every effort to accommodate you.
Nine hot meals.
- Download the class schedule and the following registration form:
600 reg form(2)
- Fill out and email the completed contact form to:
- The Registrar will confirm your registration and send you a PayPal bill.
- Come and have a good time!