The Chicago Swordplay Guild is pleased to host this invitational, three day event in honor of Maestro Fiore dei Liberi and his Art.
In 1410, Fiore dei Liberi, an aging condottiero and master-at-arms to some of Italy’s most renowned warriors, presented a book to the bellicose Niccolò III d’Este, Marchese of Ferrara (1383-1441) containing the sum of four decades of knowledge won in the training hall, siege, battle and five duels with rival masters. He named this work Il Fior di Battaglia, the Flower of Battle, composed so that the “art might not be forgotten”.
Six hundred years later, a small circle of martial artists gathered from around the world to prove him right! This event, affectionately called “The 600: Prepare for Fiore!”, was such a success with attendees, that we decided to make it a recurring workshop! Since “The 602” seemed to be missing some flair, the event has been renamed Armizare Academy. Each Academy session will have a central theme, but will also include a renowned instructor from a similar, outside tradition, to help put our art in context. This year’s outside focus will compare Arimzare to the German Kunst des Fechtens of the Liechtenauer tradition.
The schedule of events includes:
Classes taught by an international slate of instructors:
- Devon Boorman, Academie Duello (Canada)
- Bob Charrette, Forteza Historical Swordwork Guild(USA)
- Sean Hayes, Northwest Academy of Arms (USA)
- Gregory Mele, Chicago Swordplay Guild (USA)
- Jason Smith, Les Maitres des Armes (Canada)
- Scott Wilson, Southern Academy of Swordsmanship (USA)
Guest Instructor: Christian Henry Tobler, Selohaar Fechtschule (USA)
The schedule and class descriptions are included in this PDF:
In addition to formal classes there will be two feats of arms:
- A Friday “Vespers Tournament” – an unarmoured tournament of sword, dagger and lance, open to all attendees.
- A Saturday, Armoured Pas d’Armes, sponsored by the Chivalric Fighting Arts Association (http://www.chivalricfighting.org/mission.htm – an invitational tournament, celebrating the knightly art, to be fought with sword, lance, axe and dagger.
(Full details of the tournaments will be forwarded to attendees.)
Located at the picturesque DeKoven Center, home to the Western Martial Arts Workshop, the conference is a retreat with attendance limited to the 60 students that DeKoven can host. Your registration fee includes entry, lodging and all nine, hot meals.
This is a unique event and a unique opportunity to train in a private environment with some of the finest modern teachers of the art of Armizare. Act now, because spaces will go fast. We look forward to crossing swords with you!
September 14 – 16, 2012
The DeKoven Center
600 21st Street
Racine, WI 53403
(Details for getting to Racine can be found on the WMAW website)
On campus; all rooms have two single beds. You will be able to request the roommate of your choice when you register, and we will make every effort to accommodate you. Lodging is from Thurs to Sat.
Nine hot meals.
$300.00 inclusive before May 31st; $360 thereafter.
- Download the class schedule and the following registration form:
AA Reg form
- Fill out and email the completed contact form to:
- The Registrar will confirm your registration and send you a PayPal bill.
- Come and have a good time!
Remember, submit all of your registrations and registration questions to email@example.com
We have revised the schedule, which now includes a coached fencing class, a keynote address by Tom Leoni, translator of the Getty and Morgan Ms and a great deal more!
Check it out: